The most valuable asset of every company are its employees. Furthermore, they are at the core of every successful sustainability policy. Rental companies are no exception to that rule, striving to provide their employees with safe, healthy and stimulating workplace.
Suggested actions for rental companies
- Involve employees in decision-making process at all levels and listen to their ideas, e.g. by conducting an employee survey.
- Stimulate career development by providing training and coaching.
- Conduct regular customer and employee satisfaction survey (in relation to their wellbeing at the workplace).
- Develop a corporate culture embracing gender equality and diversity.
- Promote a healthy lifestyle among the employees through outdoor and sports activities, teambuilding events, healthcare subsidies, etc.
- Ensure in-house doctor consultations at least twice a year.
Submit your best practices
Share your sustainable best practice with us. If your best practice is selected, you will appear in this brochure.
Sustainable people sourcing
A-Plant runs an Apprenticeship Academy that employs over 160 apprentices. All are assigned a mentor and given a detailed training programme supported by training providers such as the Construction Industry Training Board (CITB). In 2015, 30 A-Plant apprentices completed their apprenticeship and every single one of them was offered full-time employment at A-Plant.
At 82% A-Plant’s retention rate of apprentices is one of the highest in the sector, which averages only 66% nationwide. A-Plant believes that this reflects the high level of training and support provided to A-Plant apprentices. Also, concerted efforts have been made to recruit and retain more women. Almost one quarter of A-Plant apprentices are now female.
A-Plant is a member of the ‘5% Club’, an industry group formed to create momentum for the recruitment of apprentices and graduates into the workforce. At least 5% of their workforce are apprentices or graduates on formal schemes, or sponsored students.
In November 2015, A-Plant was awarded the Industry Apprentice Employer of the Year accolade at the Pride of Construction ceremony, the annual industry prize giving by the CITB.